If you’re using the Typewriter design on Micro.blog, there’s a new plug-in on the Find Plug-ins page that adds Dark Mode support. Thanks @TheDimPause for sharing it!
In July 2020 Manton added the ability for Micro.Blogs to use plug-ins.
Note: if you have modified your theme it is possible that a specific plugin might not work.
Find the plug-ins
- Click on the Posts link at the top of the behind-the-scenes area of your blog. You're taken to the page of your recent posts, and a set of navigation buttons is shown above your posts.
- Click on the Plug-ins button above the list of your posts. You're taken to the Plug-ins area of your blog.
If you have already installed any plug-ins they show up in a list here, together with an Uninstall button.
If you haven't yet installed any or want to install more then click the Find plug-ins button.
After a brief wait all available plug-ins are listed. Each plugin shows who created it, its purpose, a link to find more information and the original files, and an Install button.
It's a good idea to check the link for more information: you may find the plug-in is not designed to work with your theme or has other limitations. There may also be information about other ways you can modify its effect.
Available plug-ins as at 22 July 2020
- Archie extras by @manton ; Customize the Archie theme to always enable Dark Mode. ; [github.com/microdotb...](https://github.com/microdotblog/plugin-archie-extras)
- Bigfoot by @jsonbecker ; Adds Bigfoot.js to your Micro.blog theme. ; [github.com/jsonbecke...](https://github.com/jsonbecker/plugin-bigfoot)
- Bookshop by @jsonbecker ; Adds the ability to get affiliate links and widgets from Bookshop ; [github.com/jsonbecke...](https://github.com/jsonbecker/plugin-bookshop)
- Category Cloud by @chaitanya ; Adds a category cloud on your micro.blog's /categories/ page. ; [github.com/chaitanya...](https://github.com/chaitanya3po/plugin-category-cloud)
- GLightbox by @jsonbecker ; Adds the ability to have simple ; attractive lightbox and gallery for photos using a shortcode. ; [github.com/jsonbecke...](https://github.com/jsonbecker/plugin-glightbox)
- Marfa dark mode by @manton ; Adds support for Dark Mode in the Marfa design. ; [github.com/microdotb...](https://github.com/microdotblog/plugin-marfa-dark)
- Navigation List by @thedimpause ; Creates a page with a list of the blog's static pages and other navigation links. A basic site map. ; [github.com/TheDimPau...](https://github.com/TheDimPause/micro.blog-navlist-plug-in)
- Open Graph Cards by @thatguygriff ; This plugin adds Open Graph meta tags to create social media and iMessage previews for posts. ; [github.com/thatguygr...](https://github.com/thatguygriff/plugin-open-graph)
- Photos category by @manton ; New options for the Photos page on your blog: excluding longer posts or using a category. ; [github.com/microdotb...](https://github.com/microdotblog/plugin-photos-category)
- Podcast title by @manton ; This plug-in for Micro.blog adds a "Podcast title" setting ; overriding the default podcast.xml file. ; [github.com/microdotb...](https://github.com/microdotblog/plugin-podcast-title)
- Search page by @manton ; Adds a Search page to the navigation of your blog ; with fast search by loading all your posts from the archive. ; [github.com/microdotb...](https://github.com/microdotblog/plugin-search-page)
- Twitter cards by @manton ; This plug-in adds HTML meta tags to allow Twitter card previews of your blog posts ; [github.com/microdotb...](https://github.com/microdotblog/plugin-twitter-cards)
Note that some plug-ins are designed to work with only specific themes.
Install a plug-in
Click the Install button for the plug-in you want then try reloading your blog to check that it's working as expected. You may need to wait a few moments for the changes to take effect.
It's probably a good idea to just install one plug-in at a time and test that it's working as you expect before adding any other. If there is a problem it'll be easier to sort out.
The Search plug-in example
On this site I installed the
A link was added at the right-hand end of the navigation menu. On clicking that link the Search page opens. I searched this site for
plug-ins, with 4 results returned.
Item contributed by Miraz Jordan.